- Check the leveling of the trailer tongue. The tongue should be level with the ground in order to properly square the trailer.
- Check the positioning of the axle(s). The axle(s) should be positioned directly under the tongue in order to square the trailer.
- Check the positioning of the wheels. The wheels should be positioned evenly within the width of the trailer in order to square the trailer.
- Once the tongue, axle(s), and wheels are all in the correct position, check the frame of the trailer for square. The frame should be square with the tongue and axle(s).
- If the frame is not square, use a tape measure or ruler to measure from the tongue to the axle(s). Then, measure from the axle(s) to the end of the frame. The two measurements should be equal in order to square the trailer.
- Finally, check the coupler of the trailer. The coupler should be positioned in the center of the tongue in order to square the trailer.
Rebuilding of an etrailer or Ram Square Jack
Make Sure Your Square is Square, and Fix It If It Isn’t
How far out of square is acceptable for a trailer?
A trailer can be up to 3/4″ out of square and still be considered acceptable.
How do you fix a warped trailer?
There are a few ways to fix a warped trailer, depending on the severity of the warp. For minor warping, you can try to straighten the trailer by heating it up with a heat gun and then cooling it down quickly. For more severe warping, you may need to weld additional supports onto the trailer frame.
Can you align a trailer?
Yes, you can align a trailer. The process is similar to aligning a car. You will need to adjust the trailer’s hitch to make sure it is level with the ground. You will also need to check the tires to make sure they are properly inflated and the wheels are not crooked.
How do you straighten a bent trailer frame?
There are a few ways to straighten a bent trailer frame. One way is to use a come-along or a similar device to pull the frame back into shape. Another way is to use a hydraulic jack to push the frame back into shape.